It’s burger time, and not just for meat lovers. We’re combining the summer’s bounty of zucchini with loads of herbs for a burger riff on the falafel. While these patties are delicious on their own, we went a little nuts with the toppings, including a tangy, herb-scented green tahini sauce, and an addictive tomato, cucumber and feta salsa. Zucchini falafel burgers with green tahini sauce are a vibrant celebration of summer flavors.
Yield: Makes six patties
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (extra moisture removed by wringing out the water from the shredded zucchini using a dish towel)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons canola oil for frying
Tomato, cucumber, feta salsa:
- 1/2 English cucumber, unpeeled, and cubed
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely minced
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup feta, finely cubed
Green tahini sauce:
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup tahini sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Note: Before starting, consider consolidating your preparation and cut all garlic and herbs for all components of the dish at once.
- For the zucchini falafels: To a food processor add chickpeas, zucchini (ensuring that you have drained out the extra liquid by wringing through a dish cloth), green onions, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cumin, salt, breadcrumbs, cayenne and coriander. Puree to combine until the mixture appears to be a thick paste. Form the mixture into six small patties. The mixture will be very wet and delicate, add additional breadcrumbs as needed to form it into patties.
- Put the patties on a tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow to firm slightly. In the meantime, make the condiments.
- For the tomato, cucumber and feta salsa: Toss the tomatoes and cucumbers with parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Cover and set aside. Stir the feta in immediately prior to serving.
- For the green tahini sauce: Puree all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth, taste and adjust the lemon juice to taste. Cover and set aside.
- To cook the zucchini falafel burgers: Preheat a large, nonstick skillet with two tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add the patties to the hot pan. Make sure to not overcrowd your pan. The patties are wet and delicate, so they require careful transfer and should only be turned or adjusted in the pan once. Cook the burgers for about four minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Remove the cooked patties carefully to a paper towel covered plate in a warm oven until ready to serve. Serve with a dollop of green tahini sauce and tomato, cucumber and feta salsa.
The Hungry Hounds is the food blog of Paul and Rebecca Shetler Fast.