Andrew Suderman teaches theology, peace and mission at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. He also serves as secretary of Mennonite World Conference’s Peace Commission. Andrew […]
In November, faith formation leaders are preparing to celebrate Advent and thinking about curriculum for the winter Sunday School quarter. Here are some tips on where to find what you need.
1. Advent At-Home worship guide. Every Christian family has the same struggle during the Christmas season: keeping the focus on Jesus rather than presents. Parents, check out the Advent At-Home worship guide from Central Plains conference and www.AnabaptistFaithFormation.org. This free download includes a daily Bible reading, a short daily litany, activity suggestions and questions to ponder together. Elsie Rempel of Winnipeg, Manitoba, writes this guide to follow the Sunday worship themes in the Leader magazine, which means many families will find their “at-home” worship following their Sunday morning worship services.
2. Advent Daily Devotions from Goshen College. This has become a tradition for me. Every weekday, a devotional is delivered to your inbox. Monday is an overview of the theme of the week. Tuesday through Friday is a meditation on one of the four lectionary texts for the week. All are written by Goshen College students, faculty or staff.
3. Take Our Moments and Our Days, Volume II, Advent through Pentecost. Advent is such a perfect time to renew your commitment to daily Bible reading and prayer, and this prayer book is the perfect guide for youth and adults. Morning and evening prayers for each day of the week include a Call to Praise, Call to Discipleship, and Call to Intercession. Consider this highly adaptable—use the parts that call to you and that you have time for, spending as much or little time as you have.
4. Christmas dramas. Every year, someone is sure to ask me for a Christmas drama. CommonWord, the Mennonite Church Canada resource site has an amazing array of worship dramas, and the Christmas dramas can be sorted by length and number of actors: Wow!
5. Are you looking for curriculum for the winter quarter? Find many curriculum options for youth Sunday School here and many options for adult Sunday School here. I think you’ll be surprised by how many options you have, some of which are free downloads. And don’t forget, we do have a great “regular” Sunday School curriculum for youth called Generation Why.
Shana Peachey Boshart is conference minister for Christian formation for Central Plains Mennonite Conference and curator of www.AnabaptistFaithFormation.org. Each month, Shana will be providing us with a list of Christian faith formation resources for use at church, in your community and at home.
To promote constructive dialogue, the editors of The Mennonite moderate all comments and comments don't appear until approved. Anonymous comments are not accepted. Writers must sign posts or log into Disqus with their first and last name. Read our full comment policy.